Thursday, August 09, 2012

Local Author Spotlight - Cole Gibsen


As part of the library's continuing efforts to learn more about our community, our very own Jed Robbins recently had the opportunity to interview local author Cole Gibsen, whose recent young adult novel Katana has been a hit with people of all ages. Here's how the conversation went:

JR: What made you want to write?
CG: I've loved books for as long as I can remember. Some of my fondest memories are watching Levar Burton host Reading Rainbow on PBS, sitting on my Grandpa's lap while he read me the Sunday comics, and devouring the entire Black Stallion series when I was old enough to read for myself. And it was that love of books that sparked my imagination for coming up with stories of my own. I'm always looking at things from abandon houses to items discarded on the side of the road and thinking, "Hmm. I bet there's a story there."

JR: Do you stick primarily to one genre, or do you write all types of different things?
CG: Young adult fiction is my absolute favorite. I think it's because the teenage years are so full of "firsts" as well as angst and drama. All that emotion makes for fun story telling.

JR: Who are your favorite authors?
CG: Too many to list. I'm constantly reading in order to keep up to date on what's hot and new for the young adult market. However, I am partial to my local writer buddies Heather Brewer and Antony John.

JR: What are the biggest obstacles you've had to overcome to become a published author?
CG: Getting my first book published wasn't easy. It took me two manuscripts, two years, and two hundred rejections before I landed my agent. It then took another year and a dozen more rejections before we received an offer on KATANA.

JR: What are the names of your past works?
CG: I am the author of the mermaid novel BREATHLESS, the teen samurai fantasy KATANA, and it's sequel SENSHI, which will release in the spring of 2013.

JR: What other hobbies do you have?
CG: When I'm not in front of my computer writing I can usually be found at my sewing machine sewing costumes for comic conventions, piecing together quilts, or making felt hair accessories.

JR: What's your favorite thing about writing?
CG: It feels good to let the voices in my head out for some air every once in awhile.

JR: Any previews of upcoming projects?
CG: Well, I'm currently working on a new young adult project that has banshees...

If you'd like to see what Cole is up to, you can always check out her website at: www.ColeGibsen.com or follow her on twitter at: www.twitter.com/colegibsen. If you're interested in checking out her books, visit your local library or a bookstore near you!

Posted by Jed Robbins, Library Assistant