Friday, September 14, 2012

Local Author Spotlight - Wayne Reinagel


As part of the library's continuing efforts to learn more about our community, our very own Jed Robbins recently had the opportunity to interview local author Wayne Reinagel, whose recent epic action-adventure stories have been a hit with people of all ages. Here's how the conversation went:
JR: What made you want to write?
WR: I began reading classic fiction at a very early age, enjoying timeless masterpieces such as 20,000 Leagues under the Sea, Dracula, Frankenstein, Three Musketeers, War of the Worlds, the Sherlock Holmes mysteries. From the moment when I first discovered that people made a living writing and illustrating books, I knew that was what I wanted to do with my life.

JR: Do you stick primarily to one genre, or do you write all types of different things?
WR: Thus far, I have thoroughly enjoyed writing epic action-adventure stories, usually involving a large cast of interesting characters and weaving the storyline around events from various other novels and real-life events. I have even created my own vast universe, where my characters live and breathe, a strange and unique place known as Infinite Horizons. It is possible that I will explore other genres in the future.

JR: Who are your favorite authors?
WR: I have enjoyed the works of many of the writers from Victorian era (late 800’s), including Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes), classics, Jules Verne (Journey to the Center of the Earth & Mysterious Island), Mark Twain (Tom Sawyer & Huck Finn) and many more. Other favorite writers are from the pulp magazine era (circa 1930’s - 1940’s), including Raymond Chandler, Kenneth Robeson, and Walter Gibson.

JR: What are the biggest obstacles you've had to overcome to become a published author?
WR: Years ago, when I first began writing novels, I opted to create my own publishing house, Knightraven Studios. In the long history of book publication, self-publishing a book has never been easier. These days, with the advent of ebooks and print on demand, even big publishing houses are having serious problems being competitive with the self-publishers.
JR: What are the names of your past works?
WR: About five years ago I started working on an epic-length ‘Steampulp’ story involving dozens of Victorian era characters of the late 1800’s combined with a group of four heroes of the 1930’s pulp era in a universe known as Infinite Horizons. My first novel was Pulp Heroes - More Than Mortal, which takes place in 1945, at the end of WWII. The second, Pulp Heroes - Khan Dynasty, was a prequel, which takes place in 1938. I am currently writing the third and final book of the trilogy, Pulp Heroes - Sanctuary Falls. Last year, I started another, slightly darker series, often described as Gothic Horror Steampunk. The first novel is Modern Marvels - Viktoriana, which takes place in 1888. I also wrote a short story, "Hunter Island Adventure", and an epic, humorous, medieval poem entitled, "The Scarlet Dragon’s Tale". More information on all these titles can be found at my website, http://wwwpulpheroesmorethanmortal.webs.com/.

JR: What other hobbies do you have?
WR: I enjoy art media of all kinds, specifically painting. Fortunately, being self-published also means that I can use my own artwork to illustrate my books. Using a computer program called Adobe Photoshop, I created digital paintings for each of the covers and also the interior art for each of my novels. Many of these full-color illustrations can be found at the website listed above and at http://waynereinagel.deviantart.com/.

JR: What's your favorite thing about writing?
WR: Exploring the ability to properly express myself through words, helping my readers visualize my stories by painting a mental picture of distant locations and events. I have taken my readers around the world and sometimes back through decades of time. My novels are vastly more complex than your average story, and the characters in are more realistic - living, growing and sometimes even dying. My stories are a bit unique and often described as ‘epics.’ They are not a light snack, but rather an eight course dinner including a dessert and appetizer, and as such, not intended to be consumed at one sitting.

JR: Any previews of upcoming projects?
WR: I have created outlines for six other novels and several dozen short stories that I hope to work on after I finish writing and illustrating Sanctuary Falls. I believe the next book will be the second novel in the Modern Marvels trilogy, subtitled Gothika.

JR: In your opinion, why should people read your books?
WR: I try to write fun, fast-paced, entertaining stories, and offer the reader the best bang for their buck. These are action/adventure stories, wild roller-coaster rides and that should leave the reader wanting more. A reader recently emailed me and stated that after he finished Khan Dynasty, which is nearly 600 pages long, he couldn’t wait to start reading the next novel. That’s a high compliment, indeed. Another described my books as, “Lightning in a bottle.” I don’t think I can come up with a better description than that.
Posted by Jed Robbins, Library Assistant