Monday, February 04, 2013

Jessica's Ideal Bookshelf


We’ve been introducing our staff to you over the past few months, and now it’s time to get to know them as readers!  Up first is our Adult Services Librarian, Jessica.  Check out her Ideal Bookshelf!  If any of Jessica's titles interest you, be sure to have us order you a copy.

As a librarian and bibliophile it is hard for me to imagine a time when I didn’t adore books. However, as a child I struggled with reading. Then one day a wonderful teacher put a copy of The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi into my hands and a magical thing happened. I fell into the world of Charlotte Doyle, sailing the high seas and spellbound by all of the intrigue and excitement of Charlotte’s world. Charlotte and I became dear friends and her tale was the beginning of my love affair with books. Charles William Eliot once said, “Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.” I have found this true throughout my life. Picking my favorite books sometimes feels like asking a parent to choose their favorite child. I love them all for different reasons. These ten books are some of my favorites and will remain dear and constant friends forever.  



--Alison Donnelly, Children's Librarian