Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Book Review - George Washington's Secret Six


I am a Fox News junkie.  I enjoy nearly all of the on screen personnel and have an innate need to know the latest news.  That being said, I will confess that one of my least favorite Fox anchors is Brian Kilmeade.  Despite this, the subject of this book intrigued me enough to pick it up and read it.  I must say I was pleasantly surprised with George Washington's Secret Six: The Spy Ring That Saved the American Revolution

As the title and subtitle indicate, this is the story of the Culper Ring, a secret circle of six spies who worked under George Washington and helped the fledgling nation win the war of independence.  It is a story that includes great daring and risk taking, cover stories, and invisible ink.  The tactics used by this ring are still taught by the CIA and with some modern refinements still form the basis of much of the intelligence work done today.

These largely unknown spies, one of whom remains known only by her code number, deserve a spot alongside the heroes of the revolution, and it is Kilmeade’s hope that this book will help bring them and their story to national prominence. 

The book includes some useful maps and interesting photographs and illustrations, but I believe that the reader would have been better served if these appeared near to the text they referenced or if there was a footnote sending the reader to the illustration. 

Posted by Jim Ritter, Library Clerk