Thursday, July 31, 2014

Seven Questions with Staff - Alison


Today's edition of our "Seven Questions with Staff" series features Miss Alison! Alison has been with us at the library since mid-2005 and is - among many other things - our Children's Librarian and can usually be found working on our Children's Floor. We hope you learn a little bit about her by reading her replies to our Seven Questions!

Q: What are a few of the best books that you've read recently?
A: I recently finished Robert Galbraith a.k.a. J.K. Rowling's second Cormoran Strike book (The Silkworm) and really enjoyed it; he/she writes a good old fashioned British mystery. Our Blum House Book Club just met to discuss Half Broke Horses by Walls, and it proved popular all around. I loved the feisty, gumption-filled protagonist. This summer my seven year old and I have discovered the Ivy and Bean series by Annie Barrows and she thinks they are hilarious. I appreciate them because they are even fun for me to read, unlike some other children's books (yeah, Junie B. Jones, I'm looking at you).

Q: How would you describe where you grew up?
A: I grew up in Dumfries, Scotland, a big town in a rural area close to the English border. It's beautiful, with lush green grass, rolling hills, red squirrels, hedgehogs, excellent architecture, and good tea (and it doesn't rain as much as people in the US think!).

Q: What was the last gift that you gave someone?
A: My parents just spent two weeks here, and I gave my Dad a Cardinals jersey to confuse his friends when he plays football (soccer) back home.

Q: If you could trade lives - "Freaky Friday" style - with another staff member, who would you trade with and why?
A: I'm going to say Grahm. He's always got a suspicious looking smile on his face and I want to know why.

Q: Do you believe in the Loch Ness Monster?
A: We visited Loch Ness when I was about 8 and I am still disappointed that Nessie did not reveal herself to me. I'm not going to say I don't believe, because a little mystery is fun in life and there's no way humans have it all worked out.

Q: What's your favorite thing to have for breakfast?
A: If somebody else is making it, I'd like some crepes rolled in sugar, covered in syrup, drizzled with lemon juice, and liberally garnished with fruit. And a cup of tea to go with it, please.

Q: What have books taught you?
A: Almost everything I know, and more every day!

Posted by Jed Robbins, Library Assistant