Total Time: 45 Min
Yield: 10 servings
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves
- Butter the sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan.
- Put the sugars, salt, corn syrup, milk, and butter in pan.
- Over medium heat, stir mixture constantly with a wooden spoon until sugars have dissolved and mixture comes to a boil.
- Continue to cook to a soft ball stage, approximately 236 degrees F on a candy thermometer,
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and nuts, and beat with a spoon by hand for approximately 2 minutes or until candy is slightly thick and begins to lose its gloss.
- Quickly drop tablespoons onto waxed paper.
- If the candy becomes still, add a few drops of hot water.
Posted by Diane Wolfe, Administrative Assistant, and Terry Pierson, Library Clerk