Friday, July 15, 2016

Staff Recommendations: July

Every month members of our staff share what media they are consuming - be it books, movies, video games, or any of the other mediums the library has to offer. After all, a love of art, in all its forms, is what brings us together at the library!

Vicky Hart - Library Director



​I am just about to start reading "Fire Bound" by Christine Feehan, Book 5 in the Sea Haven/Sisters of the Heart Series. This is a fantasy/paranormal romance series. I loved the first four books, so I am looking forward to this one.

As I wait for the start of season 7 of Game of Thrones (LOL), I am getting caught up on season 2 of "UnReal" on Lifetime. It's a sarcastic look at the behind the scenes of a fake reality show.

At the movies, I saw "Central Intelligence". It won't win any awards, but it did make me laugh out loud.


Kyla Waltermire - Collinsville Center Manager

 

I'm currently listening to "As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of 'The Princess Bride'" by Cary Elwes. It's a must-read for any fan of "The Princess Bride." The beauty of listening to this book rather than read it on the page is that Elwes narrates the story with his charming British accent. There are also frequent vocal appearances by others involved in the movie (including Rob Reiner, Robin Wright, and Mandy Patinkin) as they add their own comments about each other and the behind-the-scenes prep. From sword fighting practice to meeting and working with Andre the Giant, the story as told by Elwes enhances one's appreciation for the film. From one fan to another--I frequently respond to my husband's comments with "I'm not a witch; I'm your wife!"--you'll enjoy the cast and crew reminiscences and learning more about a much beloved movie.


Terry Pierson - Program Coordinator



I am currently reading "Joyland" by Stephen King. It is a wonderful summer read and a great starting point for those who are interested in King's writing but intimidated by the size of some of his more well-known works. In "Joyland", King masterfully weaves threads of suspense, romance, comedy, and human interest into  a carny-beach themed murder mystery.

For my gaming interests, I have joined half of the world in the phenomenon of Pokémon Go. It truly is a fun, nostalgia-inducing, magical anomaly that is bringing people together like few works of media ever have. In confluence with this, I have been keeping up with "Pokken Tournament" on the Wii U just to make sure my Poke-itch is entirely oversaturated.

I have also finally jumped on the "Game of Thrones" wagon. After multiple attempts, the television series has clicked with me at last and I am now tearing through the previous seasons to catch up with everyone else waiting for season seven.

Grahm Underwood - Service Desk Coordinator



Hill of Great Darkness by H.C. Beckerr

Stephanie Moore - Library Clerk



At the end of June/ beginning of July I read the book "The Martian" (Matt Damon was in the movie for this book last year). It was, hands down, the best book I have read in years. It was funny, full of suspense, and extremely interesting. The science that is discussed may technically be fictional, but it is written like it's real. If you are looking for something sarcastic and science related, and don't mind mild cursing, this is the book for you!

I have been watching the show Girl Meets World lately. The target audience is a bit younger than me, but I LOVED Boy Meets World growing up, and just had to check it out. I have to say, it is pretty cute. It's a bit corny, but sticks to the style of Boy Meets World, while being updated to present times. A good light show (I mostly watch it while folding laundry).

Selena Rivera - Library Clerk



I have been rereading "The Cage" by Ruth Minsky Sender. I have read it countless times. We currently have the item sitting on one of our shelves. This book brings me to tears every time. I would give it a 9.5/10. I also am enjoying "Game of Thrones". It is a must watch.
Michelle Wilson - Library Clerk


 
I have finished the book “The Fault in Our Stars” and would highly recommend it. This book was funny and heartfelt, but do not make the mistake of finishing it in public because it is a real tearjerker. I also plan on watching the movie (which I did not realize existed) now that I have finished the book. I love comparing books to movies and tend to prefer my imagination of the characters rather than a cast.

I have put a request in for “The Diary of a Young Girl” by Anne Frank. It was discussed briefly in “The Fault in Our Stars” and I would like to reread it as an adult since I read it once in junior high school.

I was able to utilize the PRC (Programming Resource Center) at the library to take home a model of a heart for my Anatomy and Physiology class! It was great to have access to a 3D model since I am taking my class online and needed to see the model to help visual it better.

I just finished season six of Game of Thrones!! My friends and I love discussing it and will not enjoy the long wait for season seven. I have recently convinced my brother and his girlfriend to start this HBO series and they are excited to binge watch all of them together! Maybe since it will be over a year for season seven to come out on TV, I will try to tackle the lengthy series!

I recently watched Les Misérables (2012 Film) for the first time and I am now very interested in seeing it live as well as reading the book.

Pokémon GO is my newest attempted game, bringing back the interests of my youth. Pokémon GO is a free app on smart phones that encourages players to walk around to collect Pokémon, visit PokéStops (including Blum House and Collinsville Historical Museum!), and fight to control gyms (like our local Herr Funeral Home!!).

As far as music, I am listening to “Flight Facilities - Crave You (Adventure Club Dubstep Remix),” “Lux Aeternia” from the movie Requiem for a Dream, “Midnight City – M83” from the movie Warm Bodies, as well as other Dubstep and Electro mixes from a series of CD’s my friend made for me.

I plan on making an attempt at other stories in the Harry Potter universe, but I might have gotten overzealous in my summer reading attempts, so we will see!

Posted by Terry Pierson, Program Coordinator